Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Spaced out Kids

Dear Mark,
How far apart should I have my children?
Thanks!

Dear Concerned about the space between,
This question has been on my mind for a few days now. I've thought about it while I've shaved. I've given it thought as I've walked the city streets. I've even thought about it while I've played Bejeweled, which happens to be something I do almost every day as I ride the bus to and from work. And as I have thought about it there has been one question keeping me from arriving at a firm answer... How far apart for what?

How far apart should they be if you are hiking in an open area and you get caught in a lightening storm? My research says about 50 feet apart in a crouched position. If this was the situation that prompted your question I do apologize for the delay in my response. I do hope you are all well and dry.

How far apart should they be for a family photo? In this case, who's to say? But if you want them to look like they are a family that loves each other or is at least willing to be close together for a short time, I'd say pretty much shoulder to shoulder. There can be some overlapping, but please, and this is only a personal request, please don't have any one holding any one that could otherwise stand perfectly fine on their own. For instance, the whole family holding mom like she is a recently hooked marlin.

Was this more of a dodge ball question? If that was the case I'd say it really depends on the space you have and how many children you are working with. Generally you want to keep them spread out and moving. At least an arms length apart as not to obscure ones throwing arm.

How far apart should you give birth to your children? That all depends. Are they all in you right now? If so, then please, as close together as you can. As far as I know you can't really stagger something like that. If you happen to have full control as to when they go in the Easy Bake and when they come out, I'd say every 18 to 24 months you should have a baby. That's what we did, and we've liked that arrangement so far. However, we did stop after two. You may want to go beyond that but at some point I think you'll run out of eggs.

If you get a chance let me know which of these likely scenarios pertained to you. I'd like some kind of resolution to this question.

Hope that helps,
Mark

2 comments: